Blog 7

May 27th, 2011

Throughout our lessons in “Techniques of the Observer” I have (no pun intended) opened my eyes to a whole new spectrum of vision.  Through such studies of Emerson, Turner, Dickinson, Holmes, Trachtenberg, James, and Ellison, I see the importance, the difference and the many levels of vision that control and encircle our lives, especially in literature.  The one thing I love the most about literature and English courses is the constant debate-like atmosphere; there is usually never a clear answer and things are always up for interpretation.  Not only did we learn that in this class, but we learned that through vision – from both the opposers of that view and the ones who believed personal interpretation was the essence of a human being.  I found myself gravitating towards the ideas and mentalities of people like Dickinson, Emerson and Turner; artists who believed you looked at a painting, a photograph and although it may be a direct representation or replica of a real-life image, it is up to the person and how they view it to determine it’s true meaning – a theory Holmes was so against.  He believed, through the camera obscura as well, that what you saw is what the truth was – limiting the ideas and wondrous world of knowledge that came from viewing an image.  Dickinson wrote about being able to interpret the world as you want-  and Emerson used his essay, “Circles,” to create a map of sorts to explain how the eye works.  All of this knowledge truly inspired me and shifted my focus and how I read not only in my other classes, but in my own free time as well.  Vision isn’t just for watching movies and reading books – it’s how we interpret what we see on a daily basis and how we view and shape our lives – something I never really noticed.  This class helped me no longer take vision and the visual aspects of life for granted, and I appreciate it tremendously for that.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS